A team of volunteer moderators will oversee the discussions on Virtual Ropecon’s online platforms. In Ropecon’s Discord server you can alert a moderator by first using the !report command and writing a message after it on the channel in question, for example:
“!report is that OK to say?”
Anti-harassment contact persons can be reached during the convention weekend either via phone at +358 45 136 2943, by email at email@example.com or on Discord (the role “Häirintäyhdyshenkilö” at the very top of the members list).
Safer space guidelines
At Ropecon, everyone is free to be themselves, as long as they do not harass other with their behaviour and respect other people’s right to be themselves as well. Ropecon is a harassment-free zone that does not tolerate any form of racism, sexism, ableism, trans- or homophobia or other discrimination of any kind.
How to be mindful of others at Virtual Ropecon:
- Respect people’s boundaries and personal space.
- Respect people’s right to their identity. Do not assume anyone’s gender or sexual orientation.
- Cosplay is for everyone. Giving compliments on people’s cosplay costumes and fashion choices is OK, but do not criticise their appearance.
- All hobbies and interests are equally valuable. There’s no need for anyone to prove themselves as a fan. Do not judge people based on their knowledge or interests.
- Treat sensitive topics with respect. Use content warnings when necessary.
- Support and enable other people to participate and be heard. Understand and accept that not everyone can be equally active.
- Remember that not all disabilities and illnesses are visible. Do not assume everyone to be healthy and able-bodied.
- Respect diversity in people.
- Be understanding and accepting of mistakes and disagreements. Be open towards constructive criticism.
- Please note, that your behaviour can be offensive or harassing others even if you do not mean for it to be so.
Let’s make Ropecon a safer experience for everyone
Ropecon is a public event that brings together attendees of all ages, backgrounds and experience levels – this is even more true at Virtual Ropecon. Ropecon and its organisers want to provide everyone with a safer space and a pleasant experience at the convention. Harassment or bullying of any kind are not allowed at Ropecon, so please remember to treat others with respect throughout the convention weekend.
Examples of harassment include inappropriate or unwanted behaviour, such as insults, name-calling, derogatory language or comments about someone’s gender or appearance, unsolicited or intrusive sexual comments and suggestions, unwelcome sexual advances, stalking, aggressive or intimidating behaviour, unwanted touching or other physical contact. Anyone can experience harassment regardless of their gender, age or life experiences. Everyone has their own personal definition on what they experience as harassment, and it should be respected.
Harassment can be both intentional and unintentional. Sometimes a joke or a comment you perceive as funny or innocent can make someone else feel uncomfortable or anxious. It is important to respect other people and their feelings. If someone feels that your behaviour, actions or words are being inappropriate and/or if someone calls you out on it, stop immediately. Please note that repeated inappropriate behaviour or harassment may result in your permanent removal from the convention and its online platforms.
If you are being harassed, tell the perpetrator to stop if you can do so. If you notice something that might be harassment or that someone else is being harassed, do not hesitate to ask the people involved if everything is OK and if they need help. If needed, you can always reach out to our security stewards, the information desk or directly to our anti-harassment contact persons for help and support. Our anti-harassment contact persons are on-call 24 h during the convention weekend. Feel free to reach out to the anti-harassment contact person of your choice. You can reach our anti-harassment contact persons during Virtual Ropecon via phone, email or on Discord.
We at Ropecon encourage people to report all cases of harassment on all online platforms to our anti-harassment contact persons, even if the situation is resolved without help from our moderators or admins. By reporting all incidents you have the opportunity to talk about the incident with our anti-harassment contact persons and also help us take the necessary actions to ensure that Ropecon will become an even safer convention for everyone in the future.